Monday, April 18, 2016

Bear Encounters

Although I had seen bears before on the run. Usually only the butt running into the forest. 2014 was the year I actually had my first bear encounter. The real deal. Having gone for a walk up a trail in the woods, I was on my way back dressed in complete bug gear as bugs were ferocious.Well the bear thought that to and was walking down the road and heading to the trail. Trying to keep out of the woods and bugs. Well what a surprise I had. I got the one photograph off of him and stood realizing he did not see me. So I stood firm and started waving and clapping my arms. The bear looked up at me and gently turned and walked into the woods. Like oh well I gotta do the bugs after all. I cant say my heart wasn't pumping just a little faster than normal. Because I would be lying. But I stayed calm as that is very important. I stood my ground because you never ever run or turn your back on a bear. And I did everything I knew I was suppose to do. I had just had my very first real bear encounter. And it was amazing,I was proud of myself and couldn't wait to show the others my picture and tell them my story. 
As for all the other bear photos. It was the summer of the bears. A field full of blueberries. A field full of bears and their cubs,all eating blueberries, and people picking them. And then there was the photographers that were majorly misbehaving. Lenses so big they could of gotten the bears from the other side of the field. But no that was not good enough. Surrounding the moms and crowding them out. Forcing them to flee and getting between the moms and their cubs.  Hoping to get that shot. Well at what cost. The mother bear. Because she would be the one at fault after all. I saw them crowd one mother out and she finally panicked and ran, stopped called her cubs from up the tree they were in. They didn't come so she ran back ears flat against her head. She got them and they all ran while the so called photographers all stood there and laughed as they were all so proud of themselves. Hoping for a charge shot or something exciting. Just the fact we were all there together safely was very exciting. Of course they were hoping for more but momma wanted to just get away to safety. She didn't want anything to do with those dumb humans.Thank goodness. That should NEVER of happened and I will not be a part of that type. Always report things you know are wrong. Always respect a wild animal, Always give it space. Keep that safe distance and watch for signs of stress. An animal never should feel stressed,ever. Never feed them,a fed bear is a dead bear. Remember that. Dont run,turn your back,feed,or harass in any way. If you must. Wave your arms ,clap your hands,carry a whistle,air horn or bear spray only to be used as a last result. Yell throw things if it is being persistent. I have never known anyone who has had to go to those last results but be aware.Be safe and be prepared. If you see a bear. Enjoy your safe encounter,they are amazing animals. I will never forget the spring/summer/fall of 2014. I will never forget the bears,wolves,ravens and more that all shared the blueberry field. But most of all I will not forget those horrible people who treated those bears with disrespect. All for a photo. 





These first 3 photos are of the cubs come fall. How they grew. It was amazing to see them . So beautiful.This was a foggy morning. Giving the photos an interesting look.


One of the moms,the tags mean she has been in trouble. With humans,taking food most likely. Campers need to abide by the rules,keeping food in a safe place and not leaving anything out. Dumping dishwater away from the campground. Doing everything you are suppose to and are told to to keep the bears from being attracted to your space.

                                                  Sitting down to have a good scratch.
                                                  One of her two cubs. So darn cute.
Feeding on some tasty berries. These photos are taken with a 150-500 mm lens and most are cropped.
                                      Feeding on blueberries while the cubs play near by.
                                                             Whatcha doin mom!!!

                                        Im a big cub,they were priceless to watch. So amazing.

                        You can see another mother bear in the back ground who also had 2 cubs.
                                                                   Following mom.
I came across this momma sow as I rounded a corner in a bushy area. Her cubs were playing ahead of her thankfully. I stopped and spoke softly to her and stood still facing her but not making perfect eye contact. I waiting and she just walked away gathered her babes and off they went. But first grabbed a couple more of those amazing berries.
This would be my first bear encounter. Big boy long legs just sauntering down the road. And he was big. I will never forget it. But he was no threat and he just continued on into the bush and the bugs poor guy. Never saw him again. But I walked back to the car with one ey always facing my back.
The two book ends. Are they not incredibly cute or what. Remember,Fully respect bears of all shapes n sizes.

And then you have the folks that had little kids picking berries all on their lonesome with the bears not far away. Yet nothing ever went wrong. And none of the berry pickers ever stepped out of line.

No comments: