Monday, April 18, 2016

Porcupine hit by car and left


April 14th 2016 on my way home from a great 3 days in Algonquin with a friend. 5 min. from my home this little guy was in the middle of the road. Quills all over the road. I feared for what I was going to find. But we stopped. Put the 4 ways on and off I went. She was breathing. Not to much blood. Her back end bare and her tail quills sheared off. But she was alive. As I waited for my husband to bring the big bin she came around. Held up her head and got up on all four legs. Poor thing. So gentile. It must of hurt. Took 3 of us to get her into the bin. As she was not wanting anything to do with that. But that was a good sign to. We duck taped the lid on. Drilled many holes all around the edges. Put a plank on top and a heavy bag of soil on that so she would not get out. She spent the night in my screened in back porch all secured in. She was quite active for a while and then settled. I checked her through the night. I met my friend from Toronto Wildlife Center next morning early and he took her to work. She was checked out. Some trauma to her stomach along with the other. But she had a good outlook to recover. It was 2 days before we found out in fact it was a female. Because they did not want to handle her right away with her injuries.And I saw a small porcupine next night around same time. But unfortunately I could not find it. So we are now looking for the baby. Mom is going to be okay. I hope we can reunite her  with her baby. 
When you see an animal hit on the road. Please stop, put your 4 ways on and keep other cars from hitting the animal again. Check it to see if it is alive.A bin or box gloves and towels make good rescue tools. And a book with local or Ontario Wildlife Rehabilitation Facilities phone numbers. Dont feed or water injured animals. Talk to the rehab facility first. They will walk you through. There is no better feeling than saving ones life . If you happen on a dead opossum please check her pouch. Babies are often okay and can be saved. If she has babies in her pouch take her to a wildlife rehabilitation facility. In tact. Dont remove babies.Keep her warm til you get there so babies will be okay.It is such a simple thing to do. It is not always a happy ending. But if you think about the pain and suffering and you have stopped that animal from any more suffering. It to is an ending for the better. Keep a shovel and  heavy gloves in your trunk also so you can move dead animals off the road. So they don't get repeatedly run over. I do not understand the total lack of human compassion.




No comments: