Monday, April 18, 2016

Distemper


Last couple years our little raccoon friends have been hit hard with distemper. This little one was one of 4 babes that came to us after their mother was killed. I was heartbroken when this one showed up one night wheezing,nose dripping and eyes crusty. Like he was saying goodbye. When I confirmed what it was and that he was in need of help. I was ready to get him. They would have euthanized him so he did not have to suffer and go off and die alone. It is a horrible death and slow. But he never came back. There is always something to learn in wild animals lives. About their health,sicknesses that can be helped and those that cant and how do we know. About their behavior. Which tells you so much.Out of these four little ones. two that I know of for certain died of distemper. Fortunately for the second one. I had already learned from this one and I was able to get it and although he lived for a couple days until they were certain it was distemper. He was on some meds to help him and when he took a turn they acted and he suffered no longer. I had 3 last summer and one summer before. Very sad.

No comments: