Sunday, November 15, 2015

Squirrel babe rescue 2009


Seems 2009 was a busy year for me. My dog had killed a momma squirrel in our yard this year. A Shepard/husky mix he loved to chase things. We were always at him and we did finally get him to stop. He was the most amazing dog ever and really has left an impact on us. Passing away suddenly of a tumor on his liver in 2012. A year of many losses for us. But in spite of him killing this mother squirrel to whom I knew was a mother. But had no idea were. It was up to mother nature. And mother nature and Max came through. I was sitting outside and Max ran to the back tree wagging his tale and yipping as husky's do. Talking. Looking back at me then at the ground then me again. I went running back. A teeny tiny baby squirrel. Then I heard more high pitch squeaking way up the tree. Oh my god. Max found the babies. I took him in the house and grabbed a nice cozy box. As I stood there and another one fell at my feet. And another. There were 4 in all. And also a pair of very upset starlings with babies in their nest near this one. The starling picked em off one by one. I cant blame her. To her these little guys were a threat to her nestlings. Even though they weren't. But one thing I can say for sure is that Max really came through for me and these babies. And as we didn't have time to get all the leaves up last fall. There was lots of soft leaves around this tree that made these falls a soft contact upon landing. I could never have gotten them easily as they were very high. And I was so surprised at that falling distance that they were alright. They cried and cried and were starving,emaciated as you can see. And full of fleas. No mom to keep them clean. But amazingly enough,they had survived a whole week. And now it was time they themselves needed to get help or die.Mother nature never ceases to amaze me. Her creatures are so amazing. Seeking out help if they loose a mom by coming to us. Or if they are injured and seeking us out in hopes of getting help. And hopefully coming to the right kind and friendly person. Because although I will never understand it. There are many people out there that would kill before they would help. How their survival skills are embedded in them at such a young age. And will do what they can to do just that. Survive. I learned at a very young age to take things in if they needed help. To never walk away. And to do what I could to do so. Thankfully our Max needed out that day at that time and found them. Husky's are one amazing animal. And these babes owe our Max their lives.


                            So tiny as they fell at my feet into a soft bed of leaves. One at a time.
                             Nothing but skin and bones. I don't know how they were alive.

     They were covered in fleas so I decked myself up in a rain suit so I didn't get any fleas on me and                             take into my home with my pets.Maybe a crazy idea but it worked.
  Back then I called Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary. And found out what to do before I did anything. You NEVER give wild animal cows milk EVER. It is not meant for their stomach's and can cause many problems and even death. Never feed a wild baby without first calling a wildlife rehab facility. And the only reason I fed them ( after getting instructions )  is because I had to hold on to them over night before they could meet me to pick them up. Being 2 hours or so away. Babes needed food asap. So we set to work and every 3 hours straight through the night  & day I fed them. And I would do it again. How precious an experience this was for me and how rewarding .

                                I ended up having them 2 days. Wow look at the difference.

                                                          Enjoying a good warm meal.
                                                                  Look at that face.
                                                               Getting a face wash.
                                                                       Next up.
                                                         Incredible sticky little feet.
                           Before its face wash this little one snuggles in with a full warm tummy.


 Full tummies and dry and warm all snuggled in for another nap til next feeding. Oh so beautiful.
  And here is one of our little ones following month at Aspen Valley. Beautiful. All were released.

1 comment:

cori said...

It seems that all the stars were aligned in order for these little critters to have a chance at life. Your photos are awesome.