Monday, March 21, 2016

Banding hawks and owls


Lucky me I know a couple of bird banders and was able to go along. So much is learned from banding these birds. 



The day I went out there was not to many birds come in. It is always hit and miss for the banders. Some days extraordinary and some very slow. But no matter,one bird for me was amazing. And getting to hold them and release them after the bander has done his job is down right incredible.
                                                             Broad wing hawk.





                                                             Immature red tail hawk




   Then we have the little saw whet owl banding.  Here one is in the bag and being weighed.

                                                             Measuring wings size.
  My son holding a saw whet awaiting for its turn. That night was pretty good for captures.
                                                    Checking its wings plumage




                                                   Jeff holding a little precious bundle.





                 I take a little guy to take outside for release. Not to much to these little owls.

No comments: